Sunday, July 25, 2010

Surprised Me

When someone introduces me to a new creation or flavor I get unbelievably excited.
When you’ve been in the Food & Beverage Industry long enough you tend to see patterns and that means predictability and then who cares. Close my eyes and open my mouth…yes, it’s divine, but it’s not a passionate LOVER. New lover’s don't show up when cuisine is predictable. So the times I get caught off guard are so divine, it drives me wild!
Think about it like this, making love to your partner of 16 years….you know what to expect. Yes it’s great, but you know what’s coming next, you know the next move, it’s like a dance. But let’s say out of the blue they try a new technique and all love making momentum comes to a halt. Suddenly you look at your partner like a new lover. Who are you darling? I am curious, excited and frisky…let’s go!
So what flavor, what creation drove me wild…Carlton Oregon Winery- Cana’s Feast 2006 Sangiovese, that’s who. So I know nothing about Sangiovese when I arrive…what? True. I love that I know enough to make good choices but not enough to never be surprised or taken on a culinary/wine journey again. Not knowing is so much better sometimes. So I taste this wine, I take in the bouquet, I swirl, I flirt with all the flavors before I take it in. You’re pretty nice so far I say to my glass. It’s like a potential lover, I need to check it out, and once I roll it around in my mouth for awhile, I know we are a good match. Oh yes, this is going to be a great lover. I am told that in some ways Sangiovese is to Chianti as cabernet sauvignon is to Bordeaux. Sounds like a torrid and fantastic love affair to me.
Cana’s Feast 2006 Sangiovese made my palate feel like a gorgeous velvet runway for ripe, juicy cherries and smooth soft tannins to dance upon. The finish was so gentle, caressing and lingered for the perfect amount of time. I was ready for the next sip, not anxious, just ready. This wine delighted me, made love to me with each sip and best of all, it surprised me. ..the perfect lover!

No comments:

Post a Comment